Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

First Day Jitters

My stomach is fluttering, my head is saying "Why?" and muscles are clenching in anticipation of the soreness to come.  As anxious as my body is acting you'd think I'm a pansy this was my first time running.  The truth is I've been on the DL for several weeks due to pain in my foot from a partially healed stress fracture. I haven't run in four weeks and I'm nervous.  Will I remember how it feels?  Will my body cooperate?  How bad is it going to be?  Then I remember things like this:


Though I never really gave up on running, I felt like I had because I couldn't run, silly as that might sound.

Yet, it's motivational pictures like this one that give me hope that my first run post-injury won't be all bad:


It starts to click...Oh yeah, I remember that! It may have been a while but I still remember how good I feel after a good run (or sweaty spin class!)

And though I feel like I'm starting over, I realize I'm not, really.  Yes, I'm going to have to rebuild some of my endurance but I'm always surprised how quickly my body reminds me it remembers that 


I am a runner. It's what I love to do and it's an integral part of who I am.  Weeks off due to injury has given me a new appreciation for running - even the bad runs.  

All that being said, I can't wait to get back out there. 

Gotta run....soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment